Wednesday, August 8, 2007

One Ticket and Ummo

I bought my ticket to Chapelhill, which was the closest I could get to Whitely by rail from there I would have to take a bus. I boarded the train, I picked a car that had a few passengers dotted about on the seats, I sat next to the window on my own, opened by backpack and began to read.

I skimmed through a few pages as the train jolted a bit as it prepared to pull out of the station; a little cry from a baby was carried down the carriages. Nothing was of interest really, I listened to the whine of wheels as the train gather momentum over the rail tracks.

SHEEP more mention of SHEEP. I shook my head, where was all this going? It seemed like a typical Charles Neville book, nothing out of the ordinary, the same over the top, believe this if you want type of thing, but you know I’m pulling your leg.

I turned a few pages, when something caught my attention to the next chapter entitled Ummoism next to it was scribbled the words – second-half of last century – claims of aliens from the planet of Ummo –communicating with people on earth.

During 1960 through to 1970 a series of letters and documents detailing Ummoism was sent in large to UFO enthusiasts. These works have been considered a hoax, though to put it in a more charitable light- a work of fiction.

It is unknown as to who started this wild story but a certain individual named as José Luis Jordán Peña has claimed responsibility for instigating Ummoism. An interesting group to note is the strange Bolivian cult who call themselves the Daughters of Ummo”

I put the book down for a second and thought about Samantha and the strange language she was studying and how she believed that the language she was studying would be a benefit to mankind sometime in the future. I tried to think what it was that she was studying but for the life of me I couldn’t think of the name. I picked up the book again.

Important dates

March 1950 Ummites land on Earth in the southern French region of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, in the area of Digne-les-Bains. The letters that were received nearly ten years later mention three spacecraft with some explorers coming from their planet. They describe how they found planet earth, their arrival on Earth, analysis of our habits, their language, and scientific descriptions of their activities.

February 6, 1966 -Madrid. Jordán Peña reported a close encounter of the first kind saying he saw "an enormous circular object with three legs and, on its underside, a curious symbol: three vertical lines joined by a horizontal bar. The two exterior lines curved outward at the edges, which made the pictogram resemble the alchemical sign for the planet Uranus." (Dash, 299)

Other such contacts were made that year such as Fernando Sesma receiving typewritten documents claimed to be from an alien race known as Ummites. Photographs also showed up in mailings.

I put the put the book down, sighed, and whispered to myself, “So that’s the language Samantha’s learning. Strange!” I looked outside the window the rolling green hills in the distance slowly neared as the train shuttered, flew past a few farms and into the darkness of a long black tunnel.

No comments: